Lagos Plans Resumption of Monthly Sanitation Exercise by March

Feb 16, 2026 - 13:38
 0
Lagos Plans Resumption of Monthly Sanitation Exercise by March

By: Israel Adeleke

OPEN TELEVISION NAIJA (OTN) News reports that the Lagos State Government has announced it plans to resume the monthly environmental sanitation exercise, which was previously observed across the state, with implementation expected to begin on or before March.

OTN News further reports that the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, disclosed this on Sunday after an inspection tour of parts of Lagos Island, where he assessed ongoing environmental and regeneration projects.

Speaking with journalists, Wahab said the government was in advanced consultations and remained confident that the exercise would return soon, noting that final arrangements were being made with key stakeholders.

“I strongly believe that sometime in March, we should start. It could even be earlier. We’re engaging stakeholders, and the date will be communicated as soon as possible,” the commissioner said.

OTN News recalls that the monthly sanitation exercise, which restricted movement across the state on the last Saturday of every month between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m., was suspended in November 2016.

At the time, the government cited the challenges of enforcing movement restrictions in a megacity like Lagos.

However, growing environmental concerns, including indiscriminate waste disposal, clogged drainage channels and flooding risks, have renewed calls for the return of the exercise.

Wahab explained that the state had intended to restart the sanitation programme earlier but was constrained by logistical challenges.

“The truth is, we were meant to start last week, but we had a logistics issue. We need to find a day that is acceptable to all stakeholders,” he said.

Beyond the resumption of sanitation exercises, the commissioner warned that the government would adopt a tougher approach toward environmental offenders, insisting that Lagos does not have a waste generation problem but a discipline problem.

“We just have a discipline problem, not a waste problem. People choose to do certain things,” Wahab said.

He disclosed that discussions had been held with the management of the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) to strengthen enforcement, adding that decisive actions would be taken along major corridors across the state.

“This time, we will be very decisive. We are going to make very hard decisions on some corridors, and we will not stop at that,” he said.

Wahab also blamed some traders operating along major roads and markets for indiscriminate dumping of refuse, noting that many of them have waste bins but deliberately refuse to use them, opting instead to damage road medians and drainage infrastructure.

“We won’t just stop at clearing; we will start wielding the big stick from tomorrow,” the commissioner warned.

On the ongoing regeneration of Lagos Island, Wahab urged residents who have complained about persistent drainage and flooding problems to remain patient, assuring them that progress was being made.

“Regeneration of Lagos Island has been going on for months now. A while back, we had to wear rain boots in these areas, but there is progress now,” he said.

OTN News, however, observes that the proposed return of the monthly sanitation exercise is expected to form part of a broader strategy by the Lagos State Government to improve environmental hygiene, enhance flood control and enforce responsible waste management practices across the state.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow